Friday 6 July 2012

Test star Lou's new life on the road

This piece appeared in The Cricket Paper, published 13/06/2012.



Ten years ago, Lou Vincent was preparing to embark on a New Zealand tour of the West Indies after an impressive start to his test career which saw him score a century on debut against the all-conquering Australians.

A decade on, he is in the midst of another tour, but this time of England, and it is slightly less glamorous than his trips around the world with the Black Caps.

The 33-year old has chosen to spend the English summer travelling around the country in a campervan in a bid to raise awareness and money for those suffering with mental health and depression; an illness Vincent has previously suffered from.

The former Worcestershire and Lancashire batsman is now playing for Oxton in the ECB Cheshire Premier League as well as for friendly teams such as the Lashings, and he is splitting his time between cricket and fundraising.

Vincent, who has a test best score of 224 against the Sri Lankans in 2005, made the decision to live on the road whilst he was coaching in Hong Kong, but things did not get off to a good start.

“I had a mechanic up in Scotland who I found on the internet who I got to come and check it out for me before buying it,” he explained.

“He said I could leave it with him for two days. That then turned into two weeks and about £10,000 worth of work before the guy did a runner with all the money I’d got through sponsorship and charity donations.

“It’s just sickening that you employ someone who you think is a professional and the next minute they turn out to be a conman.”

Vincent, a veteran of 23 tests and 102 one-day internationals, has overcome that setback and begun raising money in any way he can.

“I was at a golf day at The Grove and was just playing golf with four guys and I got bored so I asked how much they would give me if I swam across the lake on the sixth hole.

“I raised £100 just like that for three minutes work.”

The New Zealander has been interviewing a number of celebrities and cricketing personalities since he began his travels, with his subjects ranging from Graeme Swann to Ainsley Harriott, although he still believes he has a lot to offer on the pitch despite being released by Sussex at the end of last season.

“I’ve got the Champions League in September for Auckland so that has given me a little lifeline because if I hadn’t had that I would have seriously thought about what’s next.

“The thing with cricket you’ve just got to keep patient and keep cool. You have to believe in your ability and eventually it comes out.”

Vincent made an unbeaten 103 only two weeks ago for Oxton, and although he will probably not reach the heights of the international game again, his drive to succeed in cricket, as well as in his challenging summer of charity work, is there for all to see.

To donate visit whereislou.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment